ART IS........... (Part 1)


ART is everywhere, from the musicians in the subways to the murals on the side of buildings.  From the plays on Broadway to the fashion that we see.  I grew up a fan of art.  I remember the days I would go to my grandparents and walk to the back of their apartment and into my uncles studio.  Paintings, drawings, clothing that he designed everywhere and that empty chair I would sit in to watch him create.
My love of art has stuck with me to this day.

One morning as I was getting ready for work I overheard Stephanie Simon NY1's Arts & Entertainment reporter talking about gallery hopping for the holiday season.  What caught my attention was seeing her standing alongside an 18 foot wooden KAWS sculpture.  Just a few weeks ago myself, my mother, sisters and a few friends took a day trip to Philadelphia where we went to a KAWS exhibit at the Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts.  Without hesitation I grabbed a pen and started taking notes on the back of an envelop.  I couldn't wait.  She mentioned three exhibits, the KAWS exhibit showing at the Mary Boone gallery, the Brancusi exhibit at the Paul Kasmin gallery and the Yayoi Kusama exhibit at the David Zwirner gallery.  I went to the KAWS exhibit the very next day.  

It was a rainy, dark Thursday evening around 5pm and there I was walking down 25th street looking for the gallery.  The address provided by NY1 lead me to a different gallery other than the one I was looking for.  I got the correct address from the docent of the gallery and went on my way.  Once I stepped in the gallery the anticipation began to build.  Gallery director Ron Warren was seated at a table near the entrance and directed me around the corner, what I seen stopped me in my tracks.  There were two gigantic wooden Companion sculptures (KAWS's signature figures).  Made of fabricated wood each sculpture reached 18 feet high.  The first one I admired was AT THE TIME.  It depicted the Companion figure alone with its hands covering both eyes as if to shield itself from the world around him.  It gave off a feeling of melancholy.


AT THIS TIME - fabricated wood

Shielded 

KAWS's second sculpture was ALONG THE WAY.  It depicted two companion figures in a comforting embrace with their heads lowered and one arm on each others back.  They were so magnificent and comforting.

ALONG THE WAY - fabricated wood




Off in a smaller side room were three of KAWS's eight-foot vibrant, whimsical, colorful tondo (circular) paintings.  Per the Mary Boone gallery, KAWS's paintings reveal his distinctive mode of advancing the bold colors and streamlined iconography of Pop art.  Judge for yourself.


1) AFTERNOON DELIGHT 2) GOING AS FRIENDS 3) TRANSITIVE PROPERTY
Acrylic/ Canvas 


I left the Mary Boone gallery in such a great mood.  As I walked to the train station I was drawn into the Bertrand Delacroix gallery by a pair of eyes staring into my soul. LOL!.



I walked into the Delacroix gallery and into a world of black & white, sensuality, sex, hybrid creations, unpredictability and rock & roll. This describes the exhibition MODOGRAPHE by Frenchman Maurice Renoma, world fashion designer, decorator and artist turned photographer with a love and passion for digitally altered photography.  Manipulating reality and merging it with fiction.  


The beauty of the female body 

In the midst of it all

Marilyn on my mind 

The bizarre 
I thoroughly enjoyed Remona's exhibit.

Additional Information:

  • Looking for something to peek your artistic interest? Turn in to NY1 (Time Warner Cable) or log on to www.ny1.com (lifestyle section) for what's happening around town.
  • Information on the galleries I visited can be found below.
          Mary Boone gallery
          541 West 24th Street
              New York, NY 10151
              http://www.maryboonegallery.com         
           
              745 Fifth Avenue
               New York, N.Y. 10105
               t: 212.752.2929
               f: 212.752.3939
               Tuesday - Saturday: 10am to 6pm
    
                Bertrand Delacroix gallery
                535 West 25th Street
                New York, N.Y. 10001
                http://www.bdgny.com
                t:212.627.444
                Tuesday - Saturday: 10am to 6pm
                


          






Comments

Popular Posts