Harlem Nights at the Harlem Fine Arts show






This past Saturday one of my best girls Mara and I spent the evening taking in some of the most beautiful, creative, detailed, visually orgasmic works of art at the Harlem Fine Arts (HFAS) show held at Riverside Church.
It kicked off with a fundraiser and preview on January 23rd, but officially opened to the public January 30th and closed February 2nd.  Proceeds went towards the needed upgrades to the Harlem School of the Arts.

From African sculptures and head dresses to 3D paintings and photography, the show featured art from a variety of artists of all ages from all over the world. Speaking with a few of the artist and hearing them explain their love for what they do and the reasons behind their work was remarkable. I had the best time. Take a look for yourself.


A few items from Danny Simmons and Eric Edwards African Art collection
Edwards and Simmons Fine African Art, Inc.

Beautiful paintings from Pittsburgh Steeler running back Baron Batch.  He began painting while out for the season rehabbing from a torn ACL.  There's more to football players then you think.
Left: The Voice of Reason            Right: Emancipated
Left: Lady Sings the Blues II painted by Washington Redskins Director of Player Development Malcolm Blacken
Right: Unknown artist

Hand-blown plates, vases and paintings done by Dudley Vaccianna.  A passionate, talented artist who has been painting for years.  His colorful pieces reflect his Caribbean heritage. 
Does this painting look familiar? Do you recall the show Good Times?  Well, the paintings shown on the sitcom were done by artist Ernie Barnes.  Considered one of the worlds top African American painters, Ernie's paintings incorporates elongation, exaggeration and motion.
Detailed, iconic, visually appealing paintings done by African American artist James Pate.
Medium: Ink and Pencil

These colorful, amazing beauties were done by Jamaican born artist Tamara Natalie Madden.  She began painting as  child while battling a life threatening disease.   She survived and continues to paint today.  Her memories of growing up in Jamaica along with the clothing worn by everyday African women influences her work.   The fabric against her paintings give the illusion as if the figures are popping out.  

Paintings by former street artist, Sugar Hill Gang dancer Frank Morrison.  Born in Massachusetts  and raised in New Jersey,  Morrison was drawn back into art while touring overseas.  A visit to The Louvre unlocked what was hidden and nearly lost - his true passion for art.
"I am King of the World".  Amazing.  TAFA is an award-winning artist whose paintings have been showcased all around the world.  Per his website "his abstract Sports and Music paintings portray both activities, with the energy one would only expect from an actual performance.  This piece sold for $125,000.
Medium: Mixed media on canvas





There was something about these pieces by Walter Lobyn that kept calling me from across the room.  As I got closer I understood why; it was because they were all constructed out of albums.  Yes vinyl.  I love the way the Malcolm X and Bob Dylan pieces are so detailed, from their hair to their brows.  It took me a few glances to realize I was looking at a "45".  The curator  told myself and another individual to stand back and look again and that's when I figured out what it was.  A 45 pistol made out of 45's.
Medium: Vinyl


This is Brazilian born artist Ernani Silvais standing in front of one of his favorite paintings. At first glance I could tell his paintings were inspired by his festive heritage. Many of his paintings reflect the excitement and beauty of Carnival. The women, bright colors, movement and sense of joy draws the crowd into his work.


Definitely a thought provoking piece. Not much explanation is needed. This sculpture bridges together years of hurt, pain, discrimination and challenges with opportunity, freedom and change.  World renowned artist Ed Dwight has been sculpting for over 30 years and has created over 100 public art commissions.
Medium: Bronze

The lower level of the church had about 30 more artist showing off their work.  As I began my walk through I felt eyes on me.  I turned around to find a beautifully decorated female sculpture with a fabric collage surface.  I walked around the side and came across a whole section of pieces similar to that of the woman.  I was literally stuck.  The pieces were full of color, depth, and had a 2D/3D effect.  I introduced myself to the artist Wycliffe Lincoln (Lincs) Bennett and praised his worked.  He thought I was funny and joked about adopting me.  He took the time to explain the different elements in his work and what he was trying to convey to his audience.
Much respect to Lincs.
Right: Duet (Fabric Collage relief)
I Don't Care (
Fabric and Acrylic paint on wood)



Mara lead me to this young mans station by telling me there was a painting of his I had to see.  Once I turned the corner I knew exactly which one she was referring to.   The painting was of a crying little African America girl with someones hands covering her mouth. On the hands and up the arm were negative words which had been told to this little girl.  Words such as brat, crybaby, lazy and bad just to name a few.  Then, along her neck read a bible verse which pretty much cancelled out those negative  words with positivity and encouragement.  Salem Mohammed's paintings are very expressive, and emotional.




Luis Martin - L.A. native turned "Art Engineer".  I got the best vibe while at his station.  The abstractness of his work made me think of Picasso in a way.  I appreciated the different elements and depth of his work.  He was in the middle of a conversation when I walked over so this guy whom I assumed was his assistant showed me around and explained the meaning behind every painting in such a way he could have been the artist.  Come to find out that was Elvis, Luis's was husband.  It's no wonder he knew so much.  Elvis and I began discussing our passions in life and how its great to see all the artist doing what they love.  At that moment, Luis came over and joined in on the conversation.  He is an absolute sweetheart.  So talented, humble, creative and insightful.  I look forward to visiting his gallery in Brooklyn very soon
Medium: Acrylic on canvas 
Top:  Sentando Cabeza (Declarations)  (The Gravity of Opulence series)


Last but not least, on my HFAS adventure was Maeve Fouche's art station.   Her artwork was colorful, vibrant, musically influenced, sultry and ethnic.  We exchanged a few words and I found out she has a degree in Interior decorating and has experience with manual cameras and dark room developing something I am familiar with from my days in high school.   Her and her father were very pleasant; you could feel the love between the two of them.
Medium: Acrylic on canvas
Top: Venus 2           Bottom: Jazz Man

Now this is the way to spend at Saturday evening.


Check out these artist and let me know what you think: 

Walter Lobyn
www.vinylrecordartist.com

Ernani Silvais
www.ernanifineart.com

TAFA
www.tafagallery.com 

Ed Dwight
www.eddwight.com

Wycliffe Lincoln Bennett (Aka Linc)
www.lincsart.com

Luis Martin (Art Engineer)
www.luismartinart.com

Maeve Fouche
www.maevafouche.com

Baron Batch 
baronbatch.com

Malcolmn Blacken
artbymalcolm.com

Dudley Vaccianna
dvaccianna.weebly.com

Tamara Natalie Madden
www.tamaranataliemadden.com

Comments

  1. WOW!!!! This post is one of your best yet. I love it. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW!!!! this post is one of your best yet. I love it. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anonymous, you think so?
      I have to admit I was excited to post this one. Thanks for the kind words.

      ATWG31

      Delete
  3. Damn you did your research. This is so beautiful. Keep pushing. I see the growth in you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the pics and most of all very well articulated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a bunch Matt. I appreciate you taking the time to read it.

      Much Love,
      ATWG31

      Delete
  5. Very cool article! A lot of neat stuff here, I'm curious how much the painting by Ernie Barnes goes for? Very interesting facts here, esepcially about the art by former NFL players and coaches. Thanks for sharing the links! Looking forward to reading your next piece!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there, thank you very much. I don't recall the amount. Hopefully it hasn't been sold as of yet. It can be found in a gallery in Memphis, TN. I'll get back to you with the information.

      I was impressed when I seen the art work from the football players. Very talented.

      You are very welcome. Thank you for taking the time to check it out. I really appreciate it. My next post might be a few more galleries I visited or my trip to Rome.
      Subscribe to the blog so you'll be up to date.

      Thank you again,

      ATWG31

      Delete
    2. Hi again anonymous,

      I didn't forget about you. I was unable to find the card for the gallery that is selling the Ernie Barnes painting. However, you can click on the official Ernie Barnes link below and hopefully you can get further information from there: http://www.erniebarnes.com.

      My apologies I couldn't be a bigger help.

      ATWG31

      Delete
  6. Love the article. - CT

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so proud of you baby girl. You really got up close and personal with the artwork as well as with the artist. I always knew you had it in you. Keep reaching for the stars.

    Love always,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  8. good job te pictures capture the feel of the gallery. also i liked how you showcased each artist with their work. i was surprised that some of pieces that was some of my favors was done by NFL personal. one thing i notice as a art galley hopper my self. it catches my attention how pieces by black artist are more cultural driven. where other artist let their imagination go. open their mins and let the brush go. would like to see that more from afro american artist. then again art is how you see it. but i do enjoy the culture side of this gallery. good job keep it up looking forward to more of your work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I was plesantly surprised at the NFL artwork as well.

      Great observation. Well like you said, art is how you see it. It's expressed in many different ways.

      Next post coming later on today.

      Thanks again for the support.

      ATWG31

      Delete
  9. WHERE DO I BEGIN EACH ARTIST CAPTURES THE SOUL AND ESSENCE OF AFRICAN CENTERED BEING, MOST IMPORTANTLY SO HAVE YOU. THANK YOU FOR INVITING ME INTO YOUR WORLD OF ART AND LITERATURE. GREAT BLOG, GREAT BLOG, GREAT EVENT. I AM LOOKING FORWARD TO EXPLORING EACH ARTISTS WORKS AS WELL AS CREATED AND DEVELOPING MY ART WORK ON THEIR LEVEL.

    ReplyDelete
  10. WHERE DO I BEGIN EACH ARTIST CAPTURES THE SOUL AND ESSENCE OF AFRICAN CENTERED BEING, MOST IMPORTANTLY SO HAVE YOU. THANK YOU FOR INVITING ME INTO YOUR WORLD OF ART AND LITERATURE. GREAT BLOG, GREAT BLOG, GREAT EVENT. I AM LOOKING FORWARD TO EXPLORING EACH ARTISTS WORKS AS WELL AS CREATED AND DEVELOPING MY ART WORK ON THEIR LEVEL.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts