My Lazy Vacation in Antigua

Wanting to get away for a short weekend my guy Mark and I started throwing around ideas. Costa Rica, Aruba and Mexico were suggested destinations, but we decided on Antigua after reading reviews and looking through photos. Also because it was someplace different. A place we hardly heard about.

Jolly Beach Resort & Spa in St Mary's Parish, Antigua would be our home away from home for the next 3 days.

On July 15th, we set out on our journey. Within 4 hours we were in Antigua. It only took about 45 minutes to an hour to get from the airport to our resort. We were at the entrance with a drink and a smile.  Right away we changed clothes and made our way to the buffet. Stocked with everything from fish to rice and peas, hearty stews to sweet bananas and a whole lot more. There was plenty to choose from. The buffet also catered to Americans with hot dogs, hamburgers, pizza and french fries. It was a cultural blend of cuisine.

After stuffing our bellies and shooing away black birds (the birds hang out by the eating area so beware) we walked to the beach to bask in the Caribbean sun. It was beautiful, refreshing, and invigorating. I took a seat by the water and dug my feet in the sand. It was off peak season so the beach and the resort was not crowded which was a good thing.

We watched as people went sailing, snorkeling and swimming.  For us, this day was a chill out day. No water activities or games just eating, drinking and laying out by the water. We left the beach and hung out at the pool bar where we mingled with the staff and fellow vacationers. After about an hour or so we walked around the resort to check out the facilities then went up to the room to get some shut eye before dinner and whatever nightly activities the staff had planned.

Dinner was at Hemispheres the main dinning hall.  The service was real nice. Wine was setved with every meal and our glasses stayed full. Fish soup, fried fish, baked fish, grilled fish, steak, chicken, brisket, rice, seafood salad, ceasar salad, vegetables, and an array of desserts was what we had to choose from. Talk about a selection. Everything I tried was delicious. No disappointments.
After dinner, we walked along the beach under the stars until the party got started.  One of the things I love about the Caribbean is the night sky. Beautifully lit up with thousands of stars. It's almost magical.

With the Dj in place and vacationers emerging from their rooms it was time to party.  We danced to old school jams, caribbean tracks and so much more. The drinks kept flowing and we kept on partying. I really don't remember what happen after the seventh drink. To be very honest, I can't even recall how we made it back to our room. With that said, that was the end of day one.



We made it


We waisted no time


Now we wish upon a star


Before the multitude drinks and after.

Day 2:
Woke up feeling a little lost. Lol.  Hair was a mess, voice was horse and my eyes were droopy. Two thumbs up for day one.
After a delicious breakfast of freshly made omelets, ackee and salt fish ( a caribbean dish), fruit and tea we went to the pool area to hang out. We mingled with some of the guest and eventually joined in on some pool aerobics. I know, I know working out on vacation should be a no no, but it was actually fun.  Then we joined in on a game of pool volley ball.  

Later on we took a sailing class and eventually put our skills to the test.  Mark and I took turns manning the boat with the help of an instructor. I did better. (Hehehe). We were out at sea for about 45 minutes before we brought it.   That was definitely an unexpected workout.   With my arms a little sore and my stomach growling we headed over to Coconut Grill, the outdoor snack bar for some authentic grilled jerk chicken.  Oh My Goodness, talk about out of this world.  That chicken was off the hook and they had this peppered dipping sauce that made my mouth made my mouth dance.  We didn't go back to our room for almost the entire day.  

Eventually, we made it back to the room to get in a quick nap before dinner.  We wound up oversleeping and wokeing up an hour after our reservation time. No worries though. The staff at Jolly Beach were understanding and still allowed us entry to the restaurant. 
After dinner we took a stroll along the beach admiring the beautiful sky. One thing I noticed about the Caribbean is that the nighty skies are often loaded with stars. Its simply breath taking. It was late and there wasn't much going on as far as entertainment was concern so we went to the game hall and played a game of pool. From there it was back to the room for some shut eye.


Enjoying it all

Nautical Tales


All smiles


Day 3:
We began day 3 with another tasty and satisfying breakfast. After which, we parked ourselves on some beach chairs and worked on our tans. About a half hour later Mark and I took a paddle boat and went off into the sunset. Once we got far enough from the shore we stopped paddling and just drifted. We didn't have a care in the world.

After paddle boating Mark had the bright idea to sign out a Kayak - BIG MISTAKE.
At first everything was going smoothly THEN all hell broke loose. The wind started to pick up and we were pushed further and further away from land. Quickly, we turned the kayak around and tried our best to row back to shore, but no matter how much we rowed it seemed like we weren't moving forward. We started to panic (HEEEELP!!!!!!!!!!). Then my spidey sense kicked in and I remembered what the sailing instructor taught us about maneuvering away from the wind. I really want to thank that man because it worked. He saved our butts. Back on shore I thanked the man above and cursed the wind. Lol. I definitely needed a drink after that.

We ended our last night at a mixer the resort held at their outside bar.
I really must give it up to the staff at Jolly Bay. They were very welcoming, hospitable and accommodating. Whatever I needed they provided. I would definitely go back.

Just chillen


Taken before we almost got lost at sea



Cheers!!!!




Day 4:
This was it, our final few hours at the resort.   I was definitely going to miss this place.  The hospitality we received from the staff was wonderful. With time to kill before our ride came Mark and I chilled by the pool replaying the last few days in our minds. Good times... 
Before leaving we had to make one final stop at the Coconut Grill for some of that good ole jerk chicken and pepper sauce :).




So long Antigua -  Side note: This blurry picture was taken with my friends camera that I accidently dropped in the jacuzzi.
Sorry Tamara
 

Tips/ Need to Know:
  • Beware of the black birds.  They hangout at the dinning area waiting for a chance to steal your food. Thefts.  LOL! 
  • Leave the resort and tour the island  (only when it's safe to do so). Mark and I didn't this, but we definitely should have.   I hear it's beautiful.
  • Mostly importantly, ENJOY!

Comments

  1. What is this shit called dropped phone in da jacuzzi!! Oh my God!-african vc

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts