Cherrios!!!!!!

Bangers & mash, crepes, Trafalgar Square, Piccadilly Circus, The Royal Palace, Camden market and the London Bridge are just a few of the things I experienced on my trip to the UK.

Packed up and ready to go. Me and Tamara boarded an Air India flight heading to Heathrow airport. Greeted by a flight attendant wearing traditional Indian garbs we step on the plane to a practically empty flight.  After taking our seats we realized that we were on board a double Decker plane.  Intrigued by what we were seeing for the first time we took a quick peek at the level above us and nodded at one another with satisfaction. 


As we reached full altitude an aroma of flowery notes, and spices filled the air. It was DINNER TIME.
  Chicken tikki masala with chick peas and white rice paired with two bottles of red wine was our meal and drink for the evening and it was delicious.  I don't know if I was just extremely hungry or what, but that meal was one of the best Indian dishes I've ever had.  There was a white custard like item on the tray that I was hesitant to try so I passed on it.  I regretted this while flying back home.

After 6 hrs + we finally arrived in London. Walking towards customs I was a little cautious as I saw a number of people wearing face masks. 1st thought - did I miss something???.  2nd thought - how long before I am out of this airport and in the fresh clean air?
   It only took a few moments for us to clear customs and Immigration stamp # 3 was in my passport.

Coming down the escalator from baggage claim I see a man in a suit holding up a sign that read Rodriguez & Bullock.  How thoughtful..  My friend Sherry whom Tamara and I were visiting reserved a driver for us.   She should have warned us that the drive to her flat was going to be like riding on a roller coaster. LOL   They love to speed out there.   Although, we were going about 70 mph I was still able to take in some of the beautiful architecture that London had to offer. The Goth style churches and the richness of the buildings definitely showcased London's history.

Once we arrived at her flat we chatted for a few then were on our way.  One thing you must know about my friend Sherry (Berry as I call her) she loves to entertain so I knew she had plans for each day Tamara and I would be out there. 


Received two complimentary bottles of wine while flying

The driver my friend Sherry hired to pick us up from the airport


Snapped this picture and the next couple of pictures while driving to the flat.



Interesting sculpture

It was just something about the signs in London that tickled me


Day 1:  We took the Underground/ Tube (train) to the city to get some shopping done.  This is when I was first introduced to PriMark (equivalent to H&M), and Top Shop (Kate Moss's collections can be found here).  The clothing, accessories and the deals were great.   After our shopping adventure, we grabbed a quick bite to eat at a Thai restaurant then headed back to the flat to rest up before heading out to the club Silk & Spice. The vibe at Silk & Spice was just alright, so after staying a short while we left and went to another spot which turned out to be a little better.

The Tube

PriMark experience
 
The 1st official London double-decker bus I saw. (Be careful when crossing the streets)

Day 2:  The girls and I set out early to Notting Hill.  While on our way to catch the tube I noticed two interesting looking men.  They were wearing blue short shorts, a head band, a tee-shirt with the numbers 118 on them, knee high socks and sneakers.  Both had thick droopy mustaches. 
I walked over to them and asked what in the world was going on and they yelled "Got Your Number!".  I looked at Sherry and she laughed.  Apparently, the two men were the faces of 118, the United Kingdom's directory inquiry provider.   They were promoting some specials.  Hilarious I tell you.
Notting Hill resembled the rich, quiet French areas I've seen in movies.  The area was full of  large Victorian town houses, high-end boutiques and restaurants. Walking along Portobello Road was very calm and soothingVendors were out and about selling their arts and crafts.  Music was playing and everyone just seemed to be in a real good place.  I purchased a nice jacket at a vintage sale and a few other pieces.   Before heading back the ladies and I decided to take our very first rickshaw ride - and what a ride it was.
We rested up for a few then went to club Bootylicious to partyThe night was filled with great music, outrageous fashion, and fun fun fun.

 
Notting Hill Gate station

Posh
                                                                                                                                      
I love this shot


Day 3: The UK is normally dreary and rainy; however, the entire time I was in London the weather was nothing but perfect.  On this day, the ladies and I took the tube to the Liverpool street station and walked around the area.   Thrift shops, outdoor pubs, street fairs and the arts took up most of our day.  We came across an outdoor arts & craft exhibit where we (the public) were the artists.  

After getting our Michelangelo on we went to Brick Lane where we checked out the local markets.  The night ended with dinner at the Satay Bar (Thai Restaurant) and music at a small local lounge.


Architectural view


 
  Beautiful sculpture outside of Liverpool station


   
       Tisk, Tisk, Tisk


    
          Outside art gallery
      
          Street Art



Me and Tamara


The Artist


Satay Bar - Good coconut rice 

Day 4:  This day was all about the London landmarks.  We set out early to catch the changing of the guards at the Royal Palace.  Simply Amazing.  The precision of the guards, the excitement from the tourist, site of the magnificent Royal Palace was the best. Once the changing of the guards was complete we headed to Trafalgar Square; Piccadilly Circus; took pictures of Big Ben and the London Eye; ate crepes along Tower Bridge and grabbed a quick bite at a local pub.   The day was wonderful.

On our way to see the changing of the guards

The changing of the guards

Left, left, left, right, left

The Royal Palace

The Royal Gates

Waiting for my invitation

This was a wonderful experience

Standing post
Trafalgar Square
The lovely Mara

Fooling around

Took a break from site seeing to grab a bite to eat

Big Ben

History moment

The London Eye

Reflecting

The famous Tower bridge

Look through my lens

In deep thought
A view of it all
The London Metropolis

 Day 5:  On our last full day in London we didn't do too much.  We went to the Camden market where we browsed the shops. Enjoyed a nice meal at one of the restaurants in the area then headed home to prepare for our morning flight back to the States.

London Bridge





Me


Sherry and I
The Camden Market

Day 6: Oh my goodness! We're on the tube heading to Heathrow Airport and I can't stop looking at the time.  All I kept thinking was how close we were cutting it.   Sherry calms my nerves by saying "oh relax, you'll make it on time". Listening to her I take a chill pill (figuratively speaking) and enjoyed the last few moments on the tube with my High School buddy.

As Tamara and I are attempting to check in we are stopped by an agent. She tells us that our flight has already boarded and we would have to try again tomorrow. "WHAT?????"  
I looked at my watch, then the clock on the wall and asked the agent what time she had. All of the time pieces showed an hour until boarding.   We explained to the agent how important it was that we get back to the United States that day. Tamara even cried.  Due to her crocodile tears we were able to convince the agent to let us pass. We ran to customs and convinced people waiting on line to let us go ahead of them.  The customs agent found the Nutella I had packed away and told
me to either check it in (Really?) or leave it behind.  Sorry Nutella my plane was waiting. 
Once we made it past security we ran up the stairs, down the stairs and around the stairs.  As we came around the corner we could see the stewardess beginning to close the gate. "Waaaaaaait don't leave us".  Short of breath, we made it to the gate in the nick of time.  We high fived each other and presented our boarding passes. Whew!!!!

Now, one would think the flight was full the way these people were trying to stop us from boarding but it wasn't.  In fact, the flight was so empty there must have been 1 person for every twelve seats - the nerve.  Just because I could, I switched my one seat for an entire row and laid out until lunch time.
As I mentioned earlier in this blog, the food on Air India was the best.  By the way, that custard I passed up when I was flying to the UK, well I tried it and it was out of this world.


Tips:
  • When planning your trip to the UK I would suggest either going with someone that is familiar with the country or at least know someone out there who can hopefully take you around the town and show you the best of London.
  • Always check the currency conversion rate.   Remember, our money is less than theirs.  A good site to use is www.Oanda.com.

A special thank you to my friend Berry for being a great tour guide.




                          

 



Comments

  1. This was such a dope tripn probably one of my favorites with the shopping at primark and all the art, I will always admire your tenacity and strength. A major life changing event occured for you and you were able to do exactly what your brother would have wanted and thats to live! You are amazing! I still cant believe a damn bee stung me in the forehead but its all good baby baby!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts