Chomping and Chilling



When I think of Walt "Cylde" Frazier I think of the former Knicks 2 time NBA Champion, 7 time NBA All Star, turned sports commentator that wears the funky, extravagant suits. I had no idea he was a restaurateur until this past Saturday.
While on the way to my favorite restaurant Pio Pio, my friend mentions Clyde Frazier having a restaurant near by as we passed 34th street.  Always up for something new, I ask the cab driver to stop and let us out on the corner.

The restaurant took up all of 10th avenue between 36th and 37th street. We walked in through the 37th street entrance and I came face to face, better yet face to knee with two towering columns adorned with larger than life size photos of Clyde in two different snazzy, eye catching suits. There were a few more columns throughout the restaurant with Clyde wearing more of his signature suits.

It's all about Clyde

My friend pointed out Clyde's wife and a former NBA player near by. As we walked to the general seating area I took notice of the small indoor basketball court (yes, you can shoot some hoops after getting your grub on), the fully stocked bar, flat screen televisions along the wall and the two dimly lit lounge areas.  One tucked away in the back and another closer to the bar.  Above me, the ceiling resembled strips of material from a number of Clyde's suits.  It was a unique touch; along the walls were pictures from Clyde's days on the court.







The service was excellent.   We were seated quickly and our orders taken shortly after. The waiter was very knowledgeable of the items on the menu and supplied some suggestions when questions were asked. As we waited for our drinks I couldn't help but notice how good the music was. It was a mix between old school jams and new school hits.

Warm wheat rolls were brought out along with the drinks.   The drinks were delicious, costing anywhere from $13 - $15. My first drink was a Winning and Grinning made of raspberry stoli vodka, triple sec, carton ginger liqueur and cranberry. It was sweet, but not too sweet. My friend ordered the Stumbling & Bumbling. It was in a larger martini glass than mine and had a bigger punch.




Our food was brought out shortly after. I had the dry rubbed St. Louis style pork ribs, fries and coleslaw. My friend had the jumbo grilled buffalo- style shrimp with buttermilk blue cheese. One word describes the food -- DELICIOUS. The buffalo-style shrimp was delightful. It was extremely juicy and when I bit into one it popped in my mouth. The smokey grill flavor was noticeable as well. I had to look back at it in admiration before I took another bite. It was soooooooo good.

Jumbo grilled buffalo- style shrimp with buttermilk blue cheese




The ribs were fall off the bone fabulous. I was craving ribs for a few weeks and these definitely satisfied my cravings. Well seasoned, meaty and finger licking good is my overall description. The fresh cut fries were good also. I'm more of a thick cut fry person, but I had no issues with their thin cut ones. The coleslaw was on point as well. Me being a coleslaw fan appreciated the cool light touch added to the meal. The entire meal was only $21.

Dry rubbed St. Louis style pork ribs, fries and coleslaw

After my meal I ordered another drink. This time I had a Posting and Toasting, made of absolut citron vodka, pama pomegranate and mango purée. It was a refreshing, semi fruity drink. By this time, my buddy was on his third drink.   Smh.  After some good conversation we made our way towards the exit but not before I took a few shots of the mini basketball court.

Posting and Toasting 

Indoor basketball court





The location of the restaurant is in a good area.  It's only blocks away from Herald Square making it easy to benefit from the hungry shopping crowd, yet secluded enough should celebrities want to keep a low profile.  MSG is close by, so customers should keep a look out for the man himself.  You never know when he might stop in.   If not Clyde himself, you're bound to run into someone from the sports world.  I seen Skip Bayless of ESPN's First Take while I was there.


This place is definitely a must try.  I'll be back.


Update:  I emailed Clyde Frazier enterprises to let them know how much I enjoyed their restaurant and received a response.  They appreciated the post and invited me back to see Stephen A. Smith broadcast live from the restaurant and to attend a networking event hosted by Walt Frazier III.

Walt "Clyde" Frazier being interviewed by Stephan A. Smith on ESPN radio

Me with Walt Frazier III and the one and only Clyde Frazier 
Spinning & Winning: Bombay sapphire gin, st. germaine elderflower liqueur,
lime juice and passion puree
Loosey Goosey: Grey goose pear vodka, fresh cucumber, st. germaine elderflower liqueur, prosecco
Mixed greens with freshly picked herbs & sherry shallot vinaigrette

Me at the networking event.  I meet some great people.  In the black top is Sandra Florent, creator of www.sportsinheels.net

Half spit roasted chicken with hearth roasted vegetables  and mint tea


Clyde's Wine and Dine
485 10th Avenue 
New York, N.Y. 10018
Email: clydefraziers.com

Tel: 212-842-1110
Hours: Mon - Sun  12pm - 10pm
* times subject to change due to Knicks game & private events



Comments

  1. Very well written; Didn't even know about this spot... will def have to go check it out now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Anonymous,

    Thanks for the love. Stay tuned for more stories and reviews to come. In the meantime, check out my other stories.

    ATWG

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your photography. You really capture the moment. Makes me wish I was there enjoying it too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Anonymous,

    Thank you so much. That's the whole point. I want the reader to feel as if they are right there with me. I appreciate you checking out my site. Keep on checking in for new post.

    Best Regards,
    ATWG

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts