The Taste of Africa



It's not often that I visit Brooklyn so, when me and a friend planned on going to the Brooklyn Museum for the Jean Paul Gaultier exhibit, the Madiba restaurant was automatically on the list.  I had heard some good things about the place and had to try it out for myself.  Named after Nelson Mandela's clan name, Madiba brings South Africa to the United States.

It had started snowing and the temperature had fallen but, we were determined to make it to the restaurant.  We were hungry and cold and needed something to eat that would stick to our bones and warm us up.  It took about 25 minutes to get to the restaurant from the museum and when we walked in we were greeted at the door.  The waiter led us into the dining hall which was decked out in African art.  It was just what I was hoping for.  It was decorated beautifully with African masks and pictures on the walls. Calfskin covered drums, columns wrapped in African print fabric and strips of cloth dangling from wall to wall with farewell letters to Nelson Mandela added a special something to the restaurant.  There were a few pictures of Madiba himself throughout the place.

The Ambiance 



I started off with a drink called the Zulu Lulu, a refreshing cocktail consisting of gin over ice cubes with ginger ale, a splash of cassis and a few slices of cucumbers.

The Zulu Lulu

We ordered the Durban Samoosas (curried potato & pea crunchy pastry triangles) for our appetizer.  They were light and crunchy and served with a mango atchar & chutney.  Atchar, I found out from my waiter Allen is a pickled mango seed.  It had a unique, salty, slightly spicy taste to it.

Durban Samoosas

I ordered the Oxtail Potjie Kos Bredie a slow-cooked rich stew with the Uputhu/ Pap, a well known South African dish made of boiled ground cornmeal with tomato onion gravy as my entree.  The oxtails were well seasoned, tender, savory and filling.  The pap was delicious as well; the tomato and onion gravy really completed the dish.   It was just what the doctor ordered.

My girl Berry ordered the Kalky's Fish Parcel, a deep fried I & J hake filet, calamari rings with homemade mash potatoes instead of the slap chips that normally come with the dish.  The fish was fresh and not too overly breaded; the mash was delicious.  Nice and creamy with just enough lumps in it.  They almost taste better than mine.  Almost.  I didn't care too much for the calamari rings and Lord knows I love me some calamari.  Nothing about them stood out to me.

Kalky's Fish Parcel, Oxtail Potjie Kos Bredie and Uputhu/Pap 
After finishing my meal I had no room for dessert or anything else.  Berry on the other hand, had just enough room for a glass of warmed Milo (chocolate malt).
We had some time to spare, so we waited for our ride in the lounge area towards the front of the restaurant.   The lounge area was cute and quaint and full of African history.  Calf skin covered ottomans, distressed wooden tables, African dolls and shelves full of African items such as books on Africa, common African spices, sauces, non perishable food and drink items. A fully stocked bar was a few feet away.

While looking through one of the African photo books I called the waiter over and told him how my friends and I would be visiting Africa this coming November.  He was very pleasant and gave us a quick geological lesson on South Africa.


A touch of Africa

In front and behind the scenes

The rest room area resembled a hut

As we gathered our things to leave, Mark Henegan the owner came up to assist me with my coat.  We spoke for a few and I told him to look out for my post.  I will definitely be back.


Location: 
195 Dekalb Avenue
Fort Greene, Brooklyn 11205
Email: info@madibarestaurant.com

Tel: 1718-855-9190
Website: www.madibarestaurant.com

Hours:
Mon - Sun 10am - 12am

Comments

Popular Posts